I’m not in shape. I’m overweight. So if you are, too, I know how you feel! What are some simple ways we can start losing a little weight?
1. No quick-fixes. Although tempting, forget about purchasing diet pills and drinks. There are so many reasons NOT to purchase those. I admit that I’ve been a sucker about a few products in my past, but in the end it didn’t really help. You know the reasons those quick-fix pills and potions are bad for you – I don’t need to tell you. So just let that go and stop searching.
2. The usual extras. We’ve all heard the common ways to increase activity in our day: take the stairs, park in the back of the parking lot, etc. So, yes, you’ve heard them, read them, and maybe even talked about them. Now start doing them! The next time I see a soccer mom who goes to the gym for 3 hours a day be a bitch about getting that front parking spot at Target, I’m going to scream!! How about you go to the gym for 2 hours and 50 minutes and you take a chill pill and take a parking spot that’s not right in the front.
3. Get creative. A lot of my lists probably include this one. Get creative? How? Ummm…if I told you, that would prevent you from getting creative! But to get you started, here’s some creative ways I try to squeeze in a little exercise: 20 Creative Ways to Exercise. If you’re a list person, I would come up with as many of those ideas as you possibly can, and then challenge yourself to do a few of those each day. Every little bit helps!
4. Eat with chopsticks. Are you a fast eater? Chopsticks will automatically slow you down, even if you’re good with them, which I am. Eating slower make you take the time to be mindful of your eating and get full faster. Check out this site for a lesson on how to use chopsticks: CHOPSTICKS
5. Water, water, water. Hungry? Drink a glass water. Still hungry? Drink another glass of water. Still hungry? Eat something with chopsticks.
6. Recliner weights. So you’re not sold on replacing your recliner with a stationary bike? Put some hand weights next to the recliner. During the commercials, see how many repetitions you can do using those hand weights (work as many muscles as you possibly can while sitting on your butt – again, get creative).
6. Get support. If you’re too embarrassed to ask your spouse, partner, or friends to support you in this adventure to lose a little weight – join an online support group. I use weightlosswars.com because it’s free (unless I want to do a weight challenge) and there’s some pretty decent people on there. There’s lot of places to get support online, though – LOTS. Commit to checking in with your support group every other day for 2 minutes. That’s just enough of a commitment to prevent you from making an excuse, but it’s also enough to get you to be consistent and actually do it.
7. 5 Minutes. Would you like to take a walk with your partner or spouse but they just don’t want to? They’ve had a long day at work, and they just want to relax for goodness sake! Well, if they’re decent and they love you, I’m sure you can get them to commit to 5 minutes. Ask them to just walk around the block with you – 5 minutes – that’s it. If they want to stop after that, they can. Chances are, they’ll feel good after 5 minutes and will be more inclined to do another 5 minutes…build on this!! Small commitment are manageable and easy to build on. Start small!
This is a simple list. I love lists. Here are some other great lists you can check out:
Good luck, and if you have some more creative ways to lose weight, feel free to comment!! 🙂